I wanted to create a space scene. I began by working on a space station model. It was not terribly difficult, but it did turn out to be a little time consuming, as I was trying a few things that were new to me. I got the antenna dish from NASA's 3d models library. The star field was also from NASA, I think. I wasn't happy with the sails or the star field background. So I reworked the station a bit, then started in on the background as a seperate scene.
This was one of my first attempts at a galaxy. I had an ok shape to the arms of stars, but the gas clouds were shaped a bit too much like a tornado.
My second run at the galaxy and the shape was better, but the gas clouds were still way too diffuse.
So I went through a nice tutorial from Sardonicus Pax on creating a galaxy in blender. I still had to work in the gas clouds that I wanted, and I think I got them in there, though I may have gone a little too far in the opposite direction with them. They are almost invisible here. Still, I think this would be more recognizable to people as a galaxy than my prior attempts.
Next, I wanted a fairly realistic star to balance against the space station. Creating the basic star material was easy. For realism, though, I thought it needed flares and a corona. A simple bright sphere created an awfully sharp edge and looked cartoonish. I found that the same system for creating the gas clouds in the galaxy worked really well for making the flares and corona. Even though my result is still a bit off of the real thing, it adds enough that it bumps up the realism quite a bit. For me, anyway.
Here it is, all put together. Not a *great* image, certainly. But, after weeks working on the different components, I have to call it done for now. I have to get me head out of this, if I ever want to make it better. So, not a work in progress, but not exactly a completed project. Call it, a project in limbo.
You may also like
September 27, 2012
untitled August 11, 2012
August 11, 2012
June 19, 2014
Slums of Metropolis
June 14, 2014
April 20, 2014
August 19, 2012
August 27, 2013
July 03, 2014
June 04, 2014
Abstracts with Blender and Adobe
June 15, 2012