out yonder

digital abstract painting

Yet another attempt at recreating a watercolor effect. I think on that basis, this qualifies as an epic fail. It looks, to me anyway, more like acrylic or oil. I added in some embossed effects - to accentuate some of the brush strokes - which ended up making the "paint" look even thicker (noticeable in some areas if you zoom in enough). Not the direction I had intended. I need start again from scratch. To me, watercolors typically (though not always) have a much more ethereal look, often with noticeable artifacts left over from the evaporation of water, and pooling & bleeding of pigments.

72in x 116in @ 150ppi;

big & zoomy: http://mattlindley.info/post/2012/11/17/out-yonder.aspx
This was my starting point - my inspiration, if you will. I caught this earlier this summer right before a big storm.
Next was laying in the big blocks of color.
The bristle brushes work more slowly - at least on my antique of a computer - but do provide a really nice texture.
Adding in more detail and adjusting the overall colors a bit.
Here you can see where I added depth to the brush strokes. I like it because it gives it a more realistic look. 
This is where I ended up. Not the watercolor I was shooting for, but not completely crappy, either.

You may also like

Vegas Bar Mitzvah
January 07, 2011
Research Outpost
August 10, 2014
Abstracts with Blender and Adobe
June 15, 2012
Light and Reflection
March 01, 2015
island
August 21, 2014
Creating a Water/Liquid Material
August 15, 2014
Scratch Boys
June 01, 2017
Some time for abstracts
November 14, 2014
Storm
June 23, 2012
Photo Retouching
January 07, 2011
Back to Top